Friday, September 24, 2010

Cover It Up Lady!

A few months ago I was talking to a friend of mine at church who was using recieving blankets to cover herself while nursing her son. She mentioned that she liked the cover that my sister and I had becasue they had an opening that allowed you to see your babe. I said that I had been thinking of making one, but I didnt know what kind of wire to use to make the "free-standing" opening - and clever as she is, said "Well, why dont you just use bodice boneing?" Brilliant!

Sew, I made her one!

and I didnt tell her this, but I made the thing for $1.19 - I kid you not!
It helps that I have a butt load of pre-paid for fabric at my disposal :) so all I bought was the "D" ring and the boning, minus a JoAnns coupon (I dont openly support JoAnns, because their cloth selection sucks - nothing compared to my store - but they can have some obscure items now and then...)
I made the whole drape of the covering about 4" bigger than the standard covering, just because bigger is always better with babies
I used my Blue Paisley Cotton Print and the Turquoise Linen and I think they worked beautifully together
an heres my lame attempt at a "pro-mo shot" , but I'll have to make another one (as I gave this one away) and get some good ones for the upcoming MTO...
keep checking in!
~N

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this Nicole! I'm going to attempt the same thing with some of the nursing covers i have. I hate trying to nurse cover up and still be able to see at the same time!!! I wish i could just go invisible while nursing--then i wouldnt have to bother. But thanks for the idea--i'm going to try it.

    btw, LOVE those adorable skirts!!! Are you selling the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered why you ladies haven't been making and using these, lol! I found a wonderful pattern for a bone-lined one that I found online that I'm saving for myself! :)The bowed-out neck would be so much more convenient than just a draped cloth. Very cute Nicole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Chels - thanks for your encouragement! and actually the skirt is a Martha Stewart pattern with some revisions (I heart Martha) so I obviously cant sell the pattern but will be putting the finished products up in my Etsy store :)

    ReplyDelete