Monday, August 30, 2010

Book Review

I will be the first one to tell you that I'm not all that great at sewing, I just love to do it.
So I have a tendency to gravitate to good points of reference.

like this and this and this blog

and also some good old fashioned books.

I have been "borrowing" this book from my sister in law for about the past year now.
I've made about half the projects in here and would recommend it for a bunch of basic baby stuff. It comes with a packet of all the patterns needed, theyer hand drawn, and some need a lil lil bit of tweaking but all and all - cute stuff. (ps- there is a book from the same gal called just "Simple Sewing" and I would say its not as fun as the baby book, but really, whats more fun then baby stuff)

Then there is this book. I dont hate it but i'm not in love with it. I bought it for the cute skirt you see on the front cover, but I only like about a quarter of the projects, and the instructions are not practical. I'm not the most knowledgeable sewist out there, but just from reading the book (and trying some of her techniques) I know she leave out a good deal of information - not a good book to pick up if your very first starting out.
AND THEN, there's Martha. I love Martha. She was incarcerated when I was in high-school and there was this (turns out gay) kid a year behind me who would wear a "Free Martha" t-shirt that I often thought of jacking from him...
Anyways, as you can see, it gets referenced often. It truly is an encyclopedia. If you're going to sew anything in the next lifetime -get this book.
It comes with a cd to print off maybe 50+ patterns and another 50+ stencils for embroidery and applique.
I do tweak most of the patterns, but not because they need it, but thats just what I like to do.
I've gotten (the starting frame for) my Hi, I Love You skirt. Baby Kimono stuff. Pajama Shorts/Pants. so much I cant even remember... and applique templates for everything.
Love it.
but the book I probably reference the most is this one here-
the manual for my...the machine I'm using.

Like I said, I'm still learning. But I'm having fun sharing it with you!

Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment