Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fleece Me!

I've said it before, I'm split 50/50 on either making my own pattern or finding really high quality ones to use over and over again. And my absolute favorite go-to place for the cutest children's patterns is Heidi and Finn on Etsy.
I had the huge privilege of selling some of my fabric to the creator of Heidi and Finn for her new made to order store. Well, it was partly a swap, as I got a few of her patterns as payment - total score! but, if you dont have a butt load of fabric in your parent's garage and still want one of her patterns, they all run just around $5 - even bigger score!

Below is my version of her "Girley Cardigan" Pattern -mmhmm, I'm a sucker for cardies!

I used fleece because apparently no one on the west coast carries sweater knits... but thats a whole other rant, er, posting.
The only bummer about that is that it made them more "jackets" then "cardies" but snuggley nonetheless (did you know thats all one word? - one of my favs)

I had to use the same methods of sewing as you would a knit, due to the fleece's stretch. And even though it takes like 3Xs as long, it makes for a more well constructed garment.
heres a close up of one of the sleeves showing the narrow zig-zag needed to accommodate the stretch.
The original pattern calls for a tie closure, but my husband had the idea to do a button instead. Cuter, I think, and more practical then a tie on a one year old that would be pulled and and therefore undone ALL THE TIME :)
I really like the shape overall
and then you just wrap the kiddo up in it!

So I will say that the patterns by Heidi and Finn are very well constructed and have very clear tutorials - but the only thing I would note, is that the sizing is on the bigger end. Not so much that it wont fit at all, but more so "grow into it". The size above is 12-18mo and Mara will wear it for a good long while.

Sew, do check out Heidi and Finn and, while you're at it, you can pick up all the supplies you'll need in my store!

No comments:

Post a Comment