Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bird's Nest Place Mats Tutorial - (A SomeDayHome Project)

I have recently discovered the wonders of dissolving stabilizer!
That, along with varying types of string/yarn, and basic sewing notions (such as pins, scissors, tread and a machine) and you can turn out completely unique place-settings.
Let me show you -
First, on a large surface, lay out your stabilizer; twice the amount you wish your place mat to be, as we will be folding it over on itself.
mark the mid point of your stabilizer, and on one half arrange you desired materials.
I used a heavy twine for the base of my mat, then added lighter layers of yarn.
You can let them fall "organically" or use a pattern of circles, as long as you tightly fill the space you should be fine.
fold the stabilizer over on top of the stings and pin through all layers.
and I mean PIN. you'll need a lot. Like borrow some from your neighbor a lot, to hold everything in place.
Then simply sew the stabilizer-sandwich as if it is one piece, removing the pins as you go, weaving back and forth over the whole piece (no need to cut off the thread and start anew for each row, just pull the mat over to a new line and keep sewing).
Then! the funnest part! fill a pan (or in my case, bathtub) with water and toss the mat in there.
I didnt add pictures of this part because you got to experience the magic for yourself :)
The stabilizer instantly melts way and you are left with this:
as you can see above, after getting wet, my mats were a bit "wrinkly" so I just rubbed a warm iron over them to flatten them out, like a mat should be...
and there you have it.
Other ideas are are a table runner, a wall hanging, possibly curtains if a soft enough material is used. And as for material, you could try ribbons or wool roving. I have another project up my sleeve to use scraps of fabric, If I can ever get around to learning how to quilt with something more then just a straight stitch [and advice Mrs B?]

Further notes:
1) plan for the finished project to be about 2/3 the original size you started out with. due to the strings getting bunched together while sewing, and some possible shrinkage in the water. (I found this out a lil late in the game, so the examples you see above will be more like doilies then true place mats)
2) Stabilizer is quite expensive. It's true use is for stabilizing (duh) buttons holes. So the idea is that not a whole lot of it is going to be used at one time. My suggestion is to use a Joann's coupon.

Let me know what you think. Messy cute? or just looks like a mess?
thanks and much love
~Mother of Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment