Monday, September 19, 2011

Prego Pants

Going way back - To put it simply, I convinced my husband to get pregnant for the first time by letting him buy things. Along with the beautiful stroller and crib and car seat and so on, M also bought me two very nice pairs of maternity jeans.
I wore them happily for as long as I could (being my biggest with Mara in the summer, they were put aside before I swelled up in the heat)
but this time around I will be needing to cover my lower half the whole way through. So I knew some sewing was in order.

The first pair I tackled were one of the pairs M bought me. And they werent cheap (nothing ever is with him, something a treasure and despise) But the problem was that I carry my kids quite low, and this pair was not going to get worn if I had to cut off blood flow to said kid's brain every time I put them on. So I put faith in my own abilities and started to cut into my expensive maternity jeans.

then I moved on to a pair that I had set aside a few months ago, thinking "I dont love these, but I could make them into prego pants some day"

then with both pairs I had to figure out the band. I had some swim suit material that I had bought for my birthday thinking I was going to craft a suit for myself, only to find out a month or so later that my focus for the summer would be on growing and not sewing. but the material was given new life! I made my measurements and reduced them to allow the band to stretch. I made the band quite large in length, because I prefer a band that can be folded over.
then I attached them to the jeans (stretching the band as I went) and finished the seams.
here is a bad shot of them on, followed by some more bad shots. but they are uber comfortable and allow me and my babe to move freely.


Some things to be noted - If you are starting out with regular non-prego pants, try and find ones that are not cut low to began with. You will be cutting a good deal of them off, so the more you have to work with the better. That being said, no maternity pants stay up for any good length of time, but the more of the original structure of the pants you can keep, while still allowing room for your belly, the better their hold will be.

I have a few more prego-projects in the works, some completed, some I will have to come to terms with never completing. but i will keep you posted!

Much Love
Mother to my Two

No comments:

Post a Comment