Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm a bit Bias

I will be the first to admit that I am still so new to this game. I really have only been sewing for as long as Mara has been alive, hard core that is, so there is always stuff I'm learning.
Case and point- you can make your own bias tape!

Let me show you :D

I'm sure we've all seen the wraps of tape that you can buy for like $3 or $4... kind of a rip off but who wants to try binding something by folding fabric over and over as you sew....
BUT! there is a better - and cheaper!- way

First you need one of these super tools - they run about $7 but it pays for itself instantly.
Mine is a 25mm, but I like mine on the larger side when sewing...helps with avoiding having to sew really tight spaces (see, still a newbee...)
now cut the fabric that you will be using to make your tape (and side-bar = I dont ever really cut the fabric I'm using "on the Bias"...I think its kind of a waist and I only ever use the tape to trim things anyways...shhhh :), cutting one end to a point.
then from the larger side, push the pointed side of the fabric through the tool
as you pull it, the fabric will start to work its way into the folds
then all you have to do is press it with an iron- heres a trick I learned - take the tool and pull it back to create a new section of tape, then pick up your iron and press it down on top of it, dont "scoot" the iron like you would ironing a shirt or something, this will push the folds in weird ways and mess it all up - just chomp the iron down on each new section as you go....way scientific I know, but just keep reading...
this is what you get:

and when you've done the whole of your fabric, you can then fold it over itself to make "double-folded-bias-tape"
as seen below:
and now you have your very own exact matching bias "trim" tape to use on anything...

like lil BOOTY PANTS!!

~Much Love

3 comments:

  1. Okay wow. I so totally want one of those!! Where'd you get it? I just spent the afternoon making a baby hooded towel--you know that tutorial I had the link to on my blog--and I made the bias tape myself, plus sewed it on the terry cloth. A PAIN. Especially with my sewing machine. So yeah, you just made me insanely jealous. ;-)

    Oh and the "booty pants" are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the tool at joann's. they come in all dif. sizes. they're pretty cheep for the frustration they save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I really want one too! I have been planning on making some baby blankets for showers, and was going to hand-make the bias tape. But now I will just go get one of these! Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete