Wednesday, August 11, 2010

No Sewing Required: Robins egg pin

I know, I know!
I can craft too...

This weekend is a "once a year party" that my midwives throw for all their current and former clients. I you have ever followed me here, you would know that one of my midwives, after I had Mara, helped me a ton and was my saving grace..and sanity.
So to say thank you (almost a year later...oops..) I made her a broach.
And I thought I'd show you how to make your own!

you will need brown and blue wool roving , basic "needle felting" tools, glue, and whatever backing you choose

we'll start with the eggs:
take your first tuffet (haha) of blue wool, stretch it out and roll it into a cylinder like shape
than place it on your felting pad and punch the needle tool in the middle until secure (the visual of the egg wont change a whole lot, your mainly looking for a more dense feeling in the middle)

remember to turn it to get all sides and it should then look like this:
now, taking one of the sides, needle the loose fibers in, to round out that side.
Like so-
this will be the bottom of your egg. Stand the egg up on the rounded side and use your tool to punch the fibers in at an angel to fatten out the rounded side (think like the fatter end of a real egg, am I making sense?)
lay you egg on its side again and now with the fibers on the other end, needle them down enough to make that side littler then your first rounded side.

It should come out looking like so-
a cylinder that is skinnier on one side then the other...like an egg...
now for the nest.
Taking about a handful of the brown roving, shape it into the basic nest form.
lay on your felting mat and just start needling the stuffing out if it...
here's 1/2 way done
and after you do it all around you basically get a flat nest "patty"

now, here's where I might not make since:

take your "nest patty" and "pinch-pleat" the sides together, securing with a few needle punches each time
(you might also want to do this in the back side to blend in any visible folds)
here is the 1/2 way point, do this all the way around the "patty" at any point that the roving bends naturally, roughly every 1/2 to 3/4 an inch.
almost done!
Now glue (I hot-glued) your pin to the back of the nest - you could make this a magnet too!
I added in some feathers in the background
then glue in your eggs and your done!

I think it's pretty cute. Very "earthy", very "new life", I think our midwife will like it.
hope you do too! :)
Much love
Mother of Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment