Saturday, August 14, 2010

Stretch Skirt / Working With Knits Tutorial

If you saw this post, you'd know that I came into a good deal of knit fabric - something I am still learning with... its a whole new beast...
anyways, I thought an easy project would be a stretchy tube skirt, and easy enough to do a tutorial with it too
Sew here we go-

Basically all you need is what you see here
plus your measurements: your waist, waist to desired length, and your "widest point" ehem...
taking the fabric cut one big rectangle that is you length measurement by your "widest" measurement - make sure the grain, or the stretch, of the fabric is running through the piece at the longest point, so that the stretch will "stretch" around your body.

also cut a rectangle that is the with of your waist (side note - I cut mine two inches less then this measurement so that the material would actually stretch when I put it on, therefore holding itself up) with a with of anywhere from 4 to 10inches, depending on how thick you want your waistband - (make sure the grain is running through the length to stretch around your body)
(another side note- M got lil M this ball you see here for her upcoming first birthday and she is flat scared of it... and I'm starting to see why, it moves on its own, kinda creepy.)

now, as I am learning more about sewing knits, I still dont see how any one can do it with out a "Sharps" needle and a "walking foot"
let me show you:
on the left is a standard, multi use sewing foot. and on the right is a walking foot. pretty BA, I know. But what is sew cool about it is that it prevents the soft knit fabric from being "sucked" down into the bobbin by using the extra feet is has to literally pick up and move the fabric with each stitch.."walking" it along...I cant sew knits with out it.
There is a sewing book that I purchases recently that I was not "Sew Liberted" by, that said to use just a ball point needel and what ever foot you have hooked to your machine at the time...very disapointing...but thats a whole nother post...
now, another point I have learned with sewing knits - use a stitch that will stretch.
zigzag stitches stretch (if you didnt know), and I wanted the seams on this project to be "clean" so I dropped the zigzag off one side as I went. I dont know what else to call it, but it basically closes up the open side of the seam as it go, like tying a hundred lil knots all the way around the seam.

to catch up- I have taken each of the pieces - the skirt and the waistband and sewn them with-wise together with a stretch stitch.

when taking the waistband, fold it over wrong sides together, and pin it to the right side of the skirt.

there is an added step if you look some length off the waist band like I did to make it "more stretchy" - and that is that when you pin the waistband to the skirt you have to stretch the band to fit the skirt, you will have to do this as you sew as well, but pining it before hand will keep everything a lined.
then all you do is use the same stretch stitch around the waistband (making sure to catch both layers of the band and the skirt in your stitch) flip up the waist band and your done.
there's no need to hem the skirt as it is out of knit that wont fray, but I guess you always could.
I think I will make a few more. The process of this skirt only took about and hr and 1/2 and M likes things a lil more "clingy" then "flowy" around my booty...

sew as long as everybody's happy ..... ;)

~n

3 comments:

  1. Nicole! I absolutely LOVE this skirt! I check back here to your blog all the time and love your styles! You make it look so easy. :)

    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much Jessica! I'm so appreciative of people's comments and just stopping but to say hi!
    hope you two are doing well.
    coming home anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully Christmas time again for two weeks. :) this year we'll be staying with Dave and Sabina as last year we were with my folks. :)

    Looking forward to seeing you all again!
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete