Monday, September 27, 2010

Olivia!

Let me introduce you to my newest creation -
it is a feminine flowey and versatile top, and it reminded me of a dear friend, hence the name.

In essence, its just a "peasant top" but there are so many variations you can make to this pattern (my pattern, in case you were wondering, I made it) that you can make it look so may different ways.

(side bar before we move on - I didnt really edit any of these photos...k, so, I didnt at all, sorry!)

Variation #1 - Dress!
I made this one for myself - major plus - you can nurse in it! I am always in search of "nursable" dresses!
and you cant tell by the photo, but this and the following dress are out of a nice thick sweater knit... as we head into fall...
and here it is with long sleeves. I sinched in the bodice and raised the hem line to compensate for the thicker fabric and to cut down on the visual "bulkiness". I love it!
Variation#2!
I love this one as well - K, I flat love them all - but this is the most feminine style.
I edged the whole garment with a contrasting thread and then used elastic thread to sinch the whole thing in. Ruffley and beautiful, if I do say so.
#3
here I left the arms open to give more movement
#4
I really should have shown this one first because this is the pattern in its purest form.
Encased elastic around the neck and arms and an optional sinch with elastic just under the bust.
simple but so fun!
#5
Here I played with the sleeves this time
as you can see I used home-made bias tape for the slit in the sleeve and the casing of the tie
an all I had was the periwinkle ties, but fortunately I had the exact same color in felt to add a detail to wrap it all together!
and # 6
this is my favorite above all (I wore it on lil M's birthday - post forthcoming)
I used the same edging technique and elastic thread
but also added a bias tape V neck to break up the pattern
I totally think you could find something like this hanging in The Loft.
Sew there. I am now, trying to decide if I should sell the pattern or make it a MTO item in my shop... I've already tried my hand at sizing it, a few of the tops above are larger and smaller sizes (yes, not every single one is for my wearing only, pity I know)
Any one have a preference? do you prefer the pattern or for me to make it for you?
let me know!
Much love
~n
ps - I really wish my life would allow for more beautiful shots of my work. Its usually a time issue - I think I could get better shots if I spent more time at it...but I always feel like thats counter-productive as it would cut into my sewing time.... oh the trials! haha

2 comments:

  1. Oooo! make it a pattern pretty please! I love the first one (a nursable dress is an impossible thing to find) and the last top is just so cute. I love the blue and white colors. You should try doing a knee length dress with a wild "tribal" looking print and some ribbon trim. That would be pretty cute. Or maybe some smocking around the waist... I would never be brave enough to try this without a pattern in a million years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So i have the dilemma of trying to make my own patterns... my husband has decided to with hold his help in using his drafting programs... so my only option would be to sell a "hand-drawn" PDF pattern - you think it will sell?
    and your idea to smock the bodice is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete