Friday, October 8, 2010

"Corners" A Tutorial

So I have to make a confession, that for the longest time I hemming 'corners' (or whatever you want to call them) improperly.

I was doing the ol' folder over this edge, then fold over the edge on the other side... only to end up with a bulky, hard to sew corner.
But! I have seen the light - and found a new way to "fold" the corners.
Follow me
(and please, if you already knew how to do this technique from the time you could tie your shoes, dont judge. I was all kinds of stoked when I "developed" this all on my own. as I was saying- )

first you take your object and fold in your 'raw' corner aproxamatly four times the length of what your want your hems to be. (so, 1/2 in hem = folding over 2in)
then cut off about half this amount from the folded over tab
then go about ironing the hem on each side of the corner as you normally would, folding over twice
and if everything is even (an trust me, with mine, about 1/2 the time they werent) then your hemmed sides should line up and, when stitched down, should look like this:

isnt that cute! not bulky at all. As you can see from my uneven stitch, it was a challenge to "catch" each side of the corner with out skipping a stitch... but I still think it looks better then the alternative.

To see more of what I was up to in these pics, follow me to my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment